Tornados are violent rotating storms with winds that can exceed 300 miles per hour. Nearly 1,000 tornados touchdown in the United States every year.
Know what to do to prepare for a tornado
- Be alert to weather conditions.
- Designate a shelter area in your 河北快3开奖结果:
- Storm cellar
- Or the lowest building level available and go to center of an interior room, away from walls
- Know the danger signs of a tornado:
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- Large, dark, low-lying clouds (particularly if rotating)
- Large roar, similar to that of a freight train
Terms to Know
Severe thunderstorms or tornados are possible in the area. Stay tuned to radio or TV and watch the sky.
Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property to those in the path of the storm.
What to do during a tornado watch
Stay tuned to radio or TV for updates.
Watch for danger signs of a tornado.
If you see approaching storms or any danger signs, be prepared to take shelter at any time. Some tornadoes advance so quickly that advance warning is not possible.
Stay out of large, flat buildings with wide-open areas such as supermarkets or shopping malls.
Stock your 河北快3开奖结果 shelter area with a flashlight, a battery-powered radio, extra batteries, water and a first aid kit.
What to do during a tornado warning